A vintage look has been a very popular style lately with so many people renting and buying beautiful old apartments and condos with tons of character. Here are a few products to consider when designing your own vintage pad:
- Vintage Seating – Vintage furniture is a must if you are going for the vintage look. A good place to start is with seating, and there are so many cool chairs, benches and couches out there with a vintage vibe that it will make your head spin. As with vintage lighting you can budget wisely, or go all out on a designer piece that was designed yesterday by one of the greats. Take a look at your home’s architecture and try to find furniture that will really bring out its good bones and character. If you know exactly what you want and don’t mind paying for it, you can even have it custom made by one of many expert furniture designers.
Vintage Bench by Chair Couture:
Custom Vintage Couch / Futon by Fabri Kate:
- Vintage Lighting – Lighting reminiscent of years past is very easy to find, whether you get it from your local Salvation Army, a flea market, or even brand new by a designer that brings old style back with impeccable design. Your lighting should complement the rest of your decor, while providing a light source that is not too bright, but casts perfect shadows on the rest of your design. One way to get a vintage look is to put a light cage around your exposed bulb. In this Etsy listing it is described as “Machine Age,” which is quite intriguing for a vintage design. This look needs to be combined with the right decor, but could be the look for you.
Light design by Rothschild & Bickers:
Light cage found on Etsy:
- Vintage Appliances –Vintage appliances like refrigerators, stoves and ovens are reproduced and refurbished all over the country as these appliance designs are still in high demand. You can also find vintage toasters with cloth cords, and reproduction SunBeam toasters with a more modern cord and controls (but still the same old style).
All Appliance images found on AntiqueAppliances.com:
Toaster Image from The Musings of a Vintage Heart:
New Sunbeam Toaster:
- Vintage Bath Fixtures & Bathtubs – There are many things you can do in the bathroom to turn the clocks back decades on your design. Word to the wise, you should try to find new fixtures, as true vintage ones will probably be corroded and worn to the point where you’ll just have to keep fixing a leaky faucet or showerhead. We have noticed that new and refurbished claw foot bathtubs have been very popular in vintage bath designs for at least a few years. Not only are claw foot bathtubs beautiful, soaking in one is also a great experience.
Claw foot Bathtub by THG Paris.
- Vintage Home Decor – Last, but not least, vintage styled home decor can be an excellent finishing touch to your interior design. Pin-up girls, old jets, period pieces and even vintage film and cartoon prints and posters are popular items for decorating with a vintage style.
Pin-Up Girl by Moto Art, and more information on these Old Aircraft Pieces can be found in this post: MotoArt – Turning Old Aircraft Into Functional Art:
Marilyn Poster found on The Kitty Packard Pictorial Blog: